The Supreme Court of the United States of America is the highest federal court system in the US. The Supreme Court is made up of nine justices who have the ultimate jurisdiction over every law ever created within the United States. The Supreme court is responsible for evaluating the laws so that they comply with the constitution.
Something I learned about the supreme court is the responsibilities that the Cheif Justice has. I did not know that Cheif Justice John Roberts was required to sit on the board of regents of the Smithsonian Institution. I also learned that the Cheif Justice presides over the trials of impeachment over the President of the United States. I knew the Supreme court has some involvement over the trials of impeachment but I didn't know the Cheif Justice had authority. I thought the Senete had most of the authority.
The simple but most important take-away about the Supreme Court is that they are the highest federal court system that serves for life or until they retire. It is also important to note that the President has the sole authority over picking the next Supreme Court Justice that serves for life so we have to respect his (or her) pick.
I do not follow Supreme Court cases religiously but I do follow major Supreme Court hearings that are publicized. The thing that surprised me to an extent is the notable Justices. I feel like with Biden's presidency I hear him stating that he will have the first this or the first that or will have a more diverse cabinate. Reading the notable Justices gave me insight to some of the people who served on the Supreme Court. I knew black colored individuals were elected to the Supreme Court and I did read somewhere that John Marshall was one of the most influential Justices. I still can't get over how long some of these members of the Supreme court are Justices for. Must be a hard job especially when you are picked out of the blue by the President.
https://www.history.com/topics/us-government/supreme-court-facts
No comments:
Post a Comment